Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to directly edit form 8606 in an amended return (1040-X)

On Form 8606, I entered the incorrect value of all my traditional IRAs.  This requires that I file an amended return (not just an amended Form 8606) since it impacts my tax obligation.  I amended my original return and it correctly generates Form 8606.  However, I also need to add a nondeductible contribution (line 1) which I failed to include on the original filing.  How do I tell TurboTax (desktop edition) that I would like to amend the amount in line 1, or how do I directly edit the Form 8606 that was generated?  I cannot figure out how to do either.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@miamivicefanatic wrote:

The problem is that when amending the return, there is no opportunity to say that I would like to change the amount I previously entered for nondeductible contributions to traditional IRAs.  That question is not presented when I say that I wish to amend my 1099-R.  If there is some other place to enter that, I have not found it.  That's why I'm asking.

Just go to the IRA contribution section and revisit your prior entry.   Delete it and re-enter with the correct amount.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

If you qualify for a deduction then TurboTax will ask if you want to make it non-deductible. If you do then a 8606 form will be added with the non-deductible amount on line 1.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you did not enter the IRA contribution to start with then do that first  and make the contribution non deductible  then  review the 1099-R section to make sure the basis is being transferred thru. 

The problem is that when amending the return, there is no opportunity to say that I would like to change the amount I previously entered for nondeductible contributions to traditional IRAs.  That question is not presented when I say that I wish to amend my 1099-R.  If there is some other place to enter that, I have not found it.  That's why I'm asking.

@miamivicefanatic wrote:

Just go to the IRA contribution section and revisit your prior entry.   Delete it and re-enter with the correct amount.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

If you qualify for a deduction then TurboTax will ask if you want to make it non-deductible. If you do then a 8606 form will be added with the non-deductible amount on line 1.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you so much.  I did not think to look under Deductions & Credits since it concerns a nondeductible contribution.  I was expecting the question to be under something like 8606 or 1099-R or retirement.  You saved me a lot of grief as I thought I would need to manually create a new Form 8606.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies