turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the non-taxable portion of a non-deductible Traditional IRA rollover to a Roth IRA in Turbo Tax. My financial institution doesn't calculate this, so I filled out a form F8606, but I can't find a way to enter this information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DexterS

How do I enter the non-taxable portion of a non-deductible Traditional IRA rollover to a Roth IRA in Turbo Tax. My financial institution doesn't calculate this, so I filled out a form F8606, but I can't find a way to enter this information.

You've got something here that is sometimes called a "Backdoor Roth"

A Backdoor ROTH conversion consists of two parts

1. The nondeductible contribution
  2. The non-taxable distribution

To record the nondeductible contribution in TurboTax Deluxe do the following:

• Federal Taxes >> Deductions & Credits >>Scroll Down to >> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions
  • Select >> Start/Update
  • Traditional IRA and Roth IRA >> Select >> Traditional
  • Did (Name) Contribute To a Traditional IRA  >> Select >> Yes
  • Was This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution? >> Select >> No
  • Tell Us How Much You Contributed >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Did You Change Your Mine? >> Select >> No
  • Retirement Plan at Work >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Excess IRA Contributions Before 2016 >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Nondeductible Contributions to (Name) IRA? >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Let’s Find Your IRA Basis >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Income Too High To Deduct an IRA Contribution >> Select >> Continue
  • Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Your IRA Deduction Summary >> Your IRA Deduction >> $0 >> Select >> Continue

Now we’ll report the Non-taxable distribution into the Roth

• Federal Taxes >> Wages & Income >> Select >> I’ll choose what I work on
  • Scroll Down to >> Retirement Plans and Social Security >> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) >> Select >> Start/Update
  • Your 1099-R >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Let Us Enter Your 1099-R >> Select >> I’ll type it myself >> Select >> Continue
  • Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have >> Select >> 1099-R >> Select >> Continue
  • Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Let Us Know a Little More About This Distribution >> Select >> From a traditional IRA
  • Is this IRA subject to an early withdrawal penalty >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • Did (Name) Inherit This (Name) IRA? >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • What Did You Do With The Money From Fidelity? >> 
  • Select >> (Name) moved the money to another retirement account >>
  • Select >> (Name) converted all of this money to a Roth IRA >> Select >> Continue
  • Move Funds? >> Select >> No (Name) left the money in the Roth IRA >> Select >>Continue

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DexterS

You've got something here that is sometimes called a "Backdoor Roth"

A Backdoor ROTH conversion consists of two parts

1. The nondeductible contribution
  2. The non-taxable distribution

To record the nondeductible contribution in TurboTax Deluxe do the following:

• Federal Taxes >> Deductions & Credits >>Scroll Down to >> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions
  • Select >> Start/Update
  • Traditional IRA and Roth IRA >> Select >> Traditional
  • Did (Name) Contribute To a Traditional IRA  >> Select >> Yes
  • Was This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution? >> Select >> No
  • Tell Us How Much You Contributed >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Did You Change Your Mine? >> Select >> No
  • Retirement Plan at Work >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Excess IRA Contributions Before 2016 >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Nondeductible Contributions to (Name) IRA? >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Let’s Find Your IRA Basis >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Income Too High To Deduct an IRA Contribution >> Select >> Continue
  • Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Your IRA Deduction Summary >> Your IRA Deduction >> $0 >> Select >> Continue

Now we’ll report the Non-taxable distribution into the Roth

• Federal Taxes >> Wages & Income >> Select >> I’ll choose what I work on
  • Scroll Down to >> Retirement Plans and Social Security >> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) >> Select >> Start/Update
  • Your 1099-R >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Let Us Enter Your 1099-R >> Select >> I’ll type it myself >> Select >> Continue
  • Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have >> Select >> 1099-R >> Select >> Continue
  • Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Let Us Know a Little More About This Distribution >> Select >> From a traditional IRA
  • Is this IRA subject to an early withdrawal penalty >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • Did (Name) Inherit This (Name) IRA? >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • What Did You Do With The Money From Fidelity? >> 
  • Select >> (Name) moved the money to another retirement account >>
  • Select >> (Name) converted all of this money to a Roth IRA >> Select >> Continue
  • Move Funds? >> Select >> No (Name) left the money in the Roth IRA >> Select >>Continue

app1hxw
Returning Member

how I can do this?I follow "The non-taxable distribution" steps. but result, I still need pay tax for them ,
How can I think thia, because after I finished get pay Tax, for example, $6600. But if I delete 16000 my 1099R form, I need pay 2872. So I think I still pay tax for my  non-taxable distribution.

I contributed to 2019's 6k to traditional IRA and converted to Roth , both in February 2020- fidelity did not send 1099-R  they said it will be available on May 31 2020; How can I file 5498 / substitute for 1099-R in turbotax ?

you don't need a 1099 to report a non-deductible contribution.

go to Retirement and investments under DEDUCTIONS.

your conversion will be reported next time.

This is not working correctly in latest turbotax online

I made non deductible contribution to IRA. Followed all the instructions here.  When i fill up 1099-R form in turbotax, it still adds tax.  On form 1099R, if i make Box2a - 0 , then it correctly removes the additional tax. 

For some reason, turbotax is still not able to recognize Box2a as non taxable income.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You should not change any information that was reported on your Form 1099-R, enter it exactly as you have received it.  

Entering a backdoor Traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion can be tricky as it is a two-step process to report it completely.  In general, it is a non-taxable event, but if the Traditional IRA distribution included any earnings or previous deductible contributions, then the conversion will incur some income tax on those amounts.

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article to be sure you covered all the steps:

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

@firedrake123 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I figured it out. I had to enter 0 in the question ' Do you have any basis on Dec,31,2023'. I had wrongly added the rolledover amount instead of 0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies