How do I report a bug? I entered info for the $300...

ewsherman80

How do I report a bug? I entered info for the $300 charitable contributions credit and it said "amount is too high". Now TurboTax won't let me back to re-do that section.

I entered info for the $300 charitable contributions credit and it said "amount is too high". Now TurboTax won't let me back to re-do that section.
Cynthiad66

Please follow these steps to enter the charitable cash contribution for 10b (do not enter it under Deduction & Credits in the Charitable Donations section):

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  4. Scroll all the way down and click the "Wrap up tax breaks" button
  5. Continue until the "Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act" screen
  6. Enter your charitable cash contributions. 

To verify your entry:

1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left
ewsherman80

I did all those things already. I initially entered my total charitable contributions (well more than $300), which must have set off the "too high" message. But now after I've adjusted it to $300, it still flags this as something that needs review. As I said initially, this seems like a bug. 

KathrynG3

It is not a bug, it is more of an issue of "order of operations."

Leave the box blank. But, you may need to revisit your entries.

The key is the sequencing of the entry in posting cash donations made and having TurboTax recalculate your tax breaks. Anything listed in the Cares Act section before first being entered as a deduction will produce unexpected results.

To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Deductions & Credits and select I'll choose what I work on.

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions, but eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, you should see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

spcoorlas

If a user needs to circumvent the primary method and manually sequence the inputs, I would call that a bug, or a glitch. In my case there was no work around no mater how you sequenced the inputs. This has been the case with many subscribers I've engaged with. I'm surprised intuit has not issued an email statement clarifying potential work arounds, or recommending to print and file manually. That would be my recommendation to anyone who is still waiting for intuit to fix this software glitch and is looking to receive their already delayed return before the end of 2021...