Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsblake744
Returning Member

How do I get MA state software (with TurboTax Deluxe for Mac) to exempt out-of-state pension distribution? (It was 403b pension money previously rolled over to an IRA.)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

How do I get MA state software (with TurboTax Deluxe for Mac) to exempt out-of-state pension distribution? (It was 403b pension money previously rolled over to an IRA.)

Is this being recorded on a 1099R, if not what form?

What is the state is on the form you received for the 403b?

rsblake744
Returning Member

Yes, on a 1099-R form.  Massachusetts is on the 1099-R form (with IRA checked), but it's really 403b pension money (TIAA) earned in NY and MI, and later rolled into an IRA.
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

Is there an amount in Box 2 and what code is in Box 7?
rsblake744
Returning Member

Yes, there's an amount in box 2a (which is taxable by the federal government, but NOT by MA). There's also a 7 in box 7.
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/01/16/dor-2018-inc-form-1-inst.pdf">https://www.mass.gov/f...>

Please see the link about to the MA filing instructions.  Based on the Massachusetts instructions (On Page 9, under line 4) only these kinds of pensions are exempt:
What pensions are exempt?
w Pension income received from a contributory
annuity, pension, endowment or retirement fund
of the U.S. Government or the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts and its political subdivisions.
w Pensions from other states or its political subdivisions which do not tax such income from
Massachusetts or its political subdivisions may
be eligible to be deducted from Massachusetts
taxable income. This pension income, however,
should be reported in line 4. Refer to Schedule Y,
line 13 instructions to determine eligibility for this
deduction.
w Noncontributory pension income or survivorship benefits received from the U.S. uniformed
services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force,
2018 Form 1 Instructions 10
Coast Guard, commissioned corps of the Public
Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) are exempt from taxation
in Massachusetts.
rsblake744
Returning Member

I know this from reading, but I need HELP to know where in TurboTax Deluxe to enter the out-of-state pension amount!  This is not a TAX question; this is a SOFTWARE question!  Please HELP!!!
rsblake744
Returning Member

...out-of-state pension deduction/exclusion...
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

Can you give me your case numbers?  I can have someone call you.
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

I really want to get you the help you need and going back and forth on this thread is not helping you.  If you could provide the case numbers in the next hour, I can have someone call you.  I need to get your contact information and this channel is restricted in providing contact information but we can look you up by your case numbers.  Hopefully, you will be available and we can get this resolved.
rsblake744
Returning Member

Did you receive all three case numbers?
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, all I have from this channel is your user name (rsblake744).  I need you to give me the case numbers so I can look you up in our systems and have an agent call you.  
rsblake744
Returning Member

But I entered the three case numbers in the comment box.  How do I get them to you?
HeidiB
Intuit Alumni

I'm so sorry but I cannot see them for some reason.  Please try to call 1-800-624-9066 and you should be able to get through to someone quickly who can help you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies