Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

uksuey

How do I get distributions of Roth IRA for excess contributions for previous years to populate on Line 20 of Form 5329?

I don't have my 1099-R yet (will receive next year) and entered distributions as code J and P (since related to current year distributed before tax deadline and 2 previous years).  I thought this would automatically populate Line 20 of Form 5329 but it did not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

How do I get distributions of Roth IRA for excess contributions for previous years to populate on Line 20 of Form 5329?

Only the 2017 excess can be corrected with a return of contribution before the due date of your tax return, which will be reported on a code JP 2018 Form 1099-R, reportable on your 2017 tax return.

The excesses for 2015 and 2016 must be corrected by making a regular distribution from your Roth IRAs.  Since this distribution occurred in 2018, it should be reported on a code J, T or Q 2018 Form 1099-R.  The excess contributions made for 2015 and 2016 are still subject to penalty on your 2017.  The code J, T or Q 2018 Form 1099-R will be reportable on your 2018 tax return and will eliminate the penalty on these excesses for 2018 and beyond by appearing on line 20 of your 2018 Form 5329.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies