Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Lily971

How do I file separate without spouses social security number

I’m a US citizen who’s married to a NRA I’m currently waiting for his immigrant visa.. I don’t have to apply for taxes because I’m unemployed but this year I’m applying for 2020 tax to be able to get the Recovery Rebate Credit.. I currently reside outside the US with my spouse and the only way I can file for tax is through free file online and I can’t get through the application without putting his SSN or ITIN and I can’t send it by mail because it’s almost impossible to reach the US in time from the country where I reside!!! Please help me!  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You would need to apply for an ITIN for him.  To do so, you must file a Form W-7 along with submitting your tax return.  Without an SSN or ITIN, you won't be able to e-file either.  

To prepare your tax return in the TurboTax program, here are the steps: 

• In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank
  • After entering all your information, print out returns and required forms ( write APPLIED in the spouse's space) 
  • As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, fill out the forms by following
  •  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information and attach to other required  documentation
  • Submit both the Form W-7 and your tax forms to IRS Austin location in Texas.  ( see Form W-7 instructions)

The ITIN is a nine-digit number that's formatted similarly to an SSN. To apply for an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. This number allows taxpayers who don't have a Social Security Number (SSN) to file income tax returns. Unlike other forms of ID, ITINs only have one purpose—tax filing and reporting. Having an ITIN number won't make you eligible for benefits, such as Social Security or earned income credits that provide refunds to some low-income filers.  To learn more, click here: ITIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I clicked on the link and it lead me to posting a reply. How would I gain access to that joint filed SSN?

If you are referring to the IRS Itin Link - try this one. I tried the above one and it did bring me right to the IRS site, but I went to the site myself and copied it and renamed it just in case. FYI - clicking from this page might "leave" this page altogether and replace the tab with the site....

IRS ITIN Link

IRS - Form w7

Hey, I am in the same boat this year, would like to know what you did eventually for your taxes?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if you are referring to filing a married filing separate return without your spouse's SSN or filing a return when your spouse is a non-resident alien without an SSN?

@Happymonkey1234 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Married filing separate, spouse has SSN but won’t give it to me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies