napadave

How do I enter that in August of 2020 I returned a portion of my RMD?

I took the rmd in January and returned most of it in August, how do I enter that?
macuser_22

Just enter the 1099-R and say that it was NOT a RMD and then say it was all rolled over.

AmyC

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be e-fileable starting 2/24.

The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

macuser_22

@AmyC wrote:

@AmyC  The question is about a RMD rollover that has nothing to do with the 8915-E form.  It is simply the same as any other IRA rollover, except the CARES act allowed RMD to be rolled back.    8915-E not used for this.

napadave

I can't say I rolled over all of it, because I only sent back to the same IRA part of the distribution

napadave

yes, but how do I enter the rolled over portion in TurboTax?

macuser_22

@napadave wrote:

Check the box that you did a combination of thing and the  enter the amount rolled over.   The amount not rolled over will be ordinary income.