`

How do I enter received lump sum social security payments for 10 previous years in 2017?. How do I enter the section listed as a lump sum for "other tax years"??

the SSA-1099-SM lists 4 years with individual amounts and the years prior to 2013 as : dollar amount and then paid in 2017 " for other tax years " not individually like the others.

You need to enter each tax year individually to determine how much is taxable in 2017 ... keep adding another year until you enter them all  OR  you can skip this an just enter it all for 2017.  If the SS benefits are your only income then you don't need to even file a return.

This is the wrong answer. The detail on your SSA-1099 has the exact amounts paid in 2019 for 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015. Then there is another line that has the amount paid in 2019 for other tax years. It does not separate  out the amounts paid by year before 2015. When you want to enter this information, "other" is not an option for the year. What do you do to enter that information properly?

Type 'SSA1099' in the Search window, then 'Jump to SSA1099' to get started.

• Enter the info from your SSA-1099 into TurboTax and Continue
  • The next screen asks if you had any 'lump sum payments'; say Yes and Continue
  • Enter the first lump-sum payment year and amount
  • Click on 'Add Another Lump Sum Payment' until you have entered all the years shown on your 1099.
  • If the Year is not designated prior to 2015, you could use 2014. 
  • You will not be taxed on the lump-sum payments in 2019
  • You will not need to go back and Amend any prior-year returns

You can enter Lump Sum Payments from 1984 through 2018.  Enter $0  if your Social Security income was not taxable for the years you received the Lump Sum Payments, and enter $0 if no Adjustments were made on those years.

Click the link for more info on Lump Sum Payments.