turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwbw128

How come the Lincoln National Life Ins Co shows the total of $2905.36, but the taxable amount is $617.80?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy0H

How come the Lincoln National Life Ins Co shows the total of $2905.36, but the taxable amount is $617.80?

From your question, I can't determine which situation applies to you so I will discuss two scenarios. If these do not apply, ask and I will answer your question.

Life insurance proceeds paid to you because of the death of the insured person aren't taxable unless the policy was turned over to you for a price. This is true even if the proceeds were paid under an accident or health insurance policy or an endowment contract. However, interest income received as a result of life insurance proceeds may be taxable.

Employer-owned life insurance contract: If you're the policyholder of an employer-owned life insurance contract, you must include in income any life insurance proceeds received that are more than the premiums and any other amounts you paid on the policy. You're subject to this rule if you have a trade or business, you own a life insurance contract on the life of your employee, and you (or a related person) are a beneficiary under the contract.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies