Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I make both a SEP and Roth IRA contribution despite low-ish W-2 and Self-employed income?

I'm an experienced Turbo Tax user, but I'm stumped.  This year I had a child and became mostly stay-at-home, but I still earned $6693.50 on W-2s, and $1188 as my profit from my business (self-employed).  (My husband is employed and we file jointly).  My husband and I both maximized our Roth IRAs at $5500 each.  I planned to maximize my contribution to my SEP, which according to the worksheet in IRS publication 560, should be $100.36.  However, in the Business--> Less Common Business Situations --> Self-Employed Retirement, when I enter my Roth contributions my Federal refund changes and when I mark "Maximize my SEP contribution" it says $0.  

I thought the Roth IRA and SEP contributions were supposed to be completely independent?

Why is my Federal refund changing at all when I enter my Roth contributions??  I thought only traditional IRA contributions affected your taxes?  

Should I not be entering the Roth contributions in the business section because they aren't from my self-employed income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How can I make both a SEP and Roth IRA contribution despite low-ish W-2 and Self-employed income?

Do not enter any part of your Roth IRA contribution under Business--> Less Common Business Situations --> Self-Employed Retirement.  It is not a SEP contribution or a Roth 401(k) contribution.  Your (personal, not business) Roth IRA contribution must be entered under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.

Your maximum SEP contribution can only be calculated based your $1,188 of net profit from self-employment, giving you a maximum SEP-IRA contribution of $221.

Make sure that you have indicated that your $1,188 of net profit from self-employment is appearing on Schedule C line 31.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Do not enter any part of your Roth IRA contribution under Business--> Less Common Business Situations --> Self-Employed Retirement.  It is not a SEP contribution or a Roth 401(k) contribution.  Your (personal, not business) Roth IRA contribution must be entered under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.

Your maximum SEP contribution can only be calculated based your $1,188 of net profit from self-employment, giving you a maximum SEP-IRA contribution of $221.

Make sure that you have indicated that your $1,188 of net profit from self-employment is appearing on Schedule C line 31.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies