Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wahid1980

Hi, I withdrew from my retirement plan (simple ira) due to hardship according to CARES Act exemption, how can I file to avoid the early distribution tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Hi, I withdrew from my retirement plan (simple ira) due to hardship according to CARES Act exemption, how can I file to avoid the early distribution tax?

Enter your form 1099-R by following these steps:

1. In TurboTax, open your tax return
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Retirement Plans and Social Security and click on Show more
  4. Click Start next to IRAs, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

After entering your form 1099-R, click Continue until you reach the screen Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply. Check the box I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19) then click Continue

The IRS instructions related to disaster distributions weren't ready in time for TurboTax to include them at this time. Please revisit this area later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do not see that option to specify Covid related exception?  Is it possible Turbo Tax has not updated software yet>

@kevinslattery231 wrote:

I do not see that option to specify Covid related exception?  Is it possible Turbo Tax has not updated software yet>

The IRS has not yet finalized the new Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Coronavirus-Related Distributions)

The IRS has not posted when this new form will be available for filing with the 2020 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies