Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmcdivitt

Hi I received $39527 in SSDI, but $7776.00 was back payment for 2019. how should report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Hi I received $39527 in SSDI, but $7776.00 was back payment for 2019. how should report it?

Please see the following link on how to enter your Social Security Disability incomeWhere do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1?

You might need to pay taxes on a small portion of your lump-sum payment. However, you might be able to avoid these taxes by apportioning prior year benefits to those previous years’ income (without filing any amended returns).  

After you enter your lump-sum Social Security payment information, TurboTax will automatically figure what if any taxes you owe due to the lump-sum payment.

Do not report your dependents SSA-1099 income on your income tax return . Your child or other dependent would report their SSA-1099 on their own return, but only if they make enough income to be required to file (this is uncommon). If Social Security is your dependent's only income, they most likely don't need to file a return.

-follow this link for more information-

Video: Do Social Security Income Recipients Pay ... - TurboTax

A Guide to Social Security Tax - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies