Doublecheck box 12 on your W-2(s). Certain codes indicate contributions to a retirement plan, specifically:
- D: 401(k) plan
- E: 403(b) plan
- F: 408(k)(6) plan
- G: 457(b) plan
- S: 408(p) salary reduction SIMPLE retirement account
- H: 501(c)(18)(D) plan
- AA: Designated Roth contributions under a section 401(k) plan.
- BB: Designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan.
EE: Designated Roth contributions under governmental section 457(b) plan. This amount does not apply to contributions under a tax-exempt organization section 457(b) plan.
If you entered one of the above codes and an amount in box 12 on the W-2 screen, TurboTax used the information to determine that you qualified for a Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Saver's Credit).
If you still think the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit is in error, you may delete the Form 8880:
- Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
- Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
- Select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
- In the I'm looking for: box, select Delete a form.
- In the Review Form List, scroll down and click Delete next to Form 8880 and follow the onscreen instructions.