turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Graduate Student Roth IRA Contribution

@DadFilesForKids  If you received the 1098-T, you absolutely can enter it. Sam's instructions were for most of the people with stipends- that don't seem to have a 1098-T.

The stipend should show on line 1 with wages, salaries, tips, etc.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, @AmyC 

The way TT guided me to enter the 1098-T information caused a warning that a contribution to an IRA was not allowed. 

That seems like a problem. 😕

When I followed Sam's guidance it went OK.

Thanks for your input!

DFFK

Fortunately, this does work, but because my wages are 0 in box 1 of my w-2, I receive a message that I cannot e-file and must mail in my return.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

That is correct because there must be income to be able to electronically file. 

melrows

I have followed these instructions to the letter, but I still get the "Your Roth IRA contribution was too high. You contributed $2,400, but your earned income was 0..." Did TurboTax change the way they count earned income in this section? What is another way I can avoid this excess contribution fee? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify, how did you enter the income? 

melrows

I have no W-2 for income. My stipend from my grant is listed under scholarships on my 1098-T. To enter this information, I went to the Federal Taxes, Deductions & Credits, Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) section. I followed the prompts, but selected the "I did not receive form 1098-T" option. I filled in the information about the school's name and address, and then filled in my grant/stipend in the "other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships. I also filled in my tuition. I still got the alert that I had zero earned income and therefore had an excess Roth IRA contribution.

@DadFilesForKids wrote:

Hi @SamS1 ,

You are replying to a discussion from 2 years ago.  The stipend should be reported on line 8r of Schedule 1.  To to this, don't use the 1099 interview.  Enter the stipend income in the educational expenses/scholarships section of TT, as a scholarship not reported on the 1098-T.   To make it taxable, enter the taxable amount when asked how much was used for room & board. 

There's  currently a glitch in TT in getting it to recognize line 8r, Sch 1, as compensation.  See containment article at  https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/retirement-benefits/fellowship-stipend-a...

@melrows wrote:

I have no W-2 for income. My stipend from my grant is listed under scholarships on my 1098-T. To enter this information, I went to the Federal Taxes, Deductions & Credits, Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) section. I followed the prompts, but selected the "I did not receive form 1098-T" option. I filled in the information about the school's name and address, and then filled in my grant/stipend in the "other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships. I also filled in my tuition. I still got the alert that I had zero earned income and therefore had an excess Roth IRA contribution.

You are entering it correctly.  To double-check, the stipend should be on line 8r of Schedule 1.  However, there is currently a bug in the program preventing it from recognizing line 8r as eligible compensation.  See this article.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/retirement-benefits/fellowship-stipend-a...

Also note, only post-graduate and post-doctoral fellowships are eligible, not pre-doctoral fellowships.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies