Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8949 Attached Statements - TT didn't complete Form 8453

I had a small stock sale in a private company for which a 1099-B was issued with Box 12 checked (cost basis not reported to IRS) and the acquired dates were "Various." Turbotax notated "see attached statement" next to the brokerage name, but didn't prompt me to print/file a Form 8453 with any attachment when I e-filed or place instructions to do so in my return cover sheet. Looking back, a Form 8453 is within my return forms but totally blank.

1. Is it correct that in this circumstance I should do so? I am still within the 3 day filing window.

2. The documents supporting the cost basis and acquisition dates are from the company, and as such the figures match the 1099-B but the institution name does NOT match the 1099-B, which was really a financial conduit for the transaction. Should I attach a written explanation as well, or will simply attaching the cost basis paperwork with matching cost/proceeds figures suffice?

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the Box Category you are reporting? see exception below.

If you are not excused by the detail reporting exception,
IRS requires details of your SELL transactions to be supplied on some Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B or spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

The detail reporting exception applies only to Box A or Box D transactions without adjustments.

You said "basis not reported to IRS", which is Box B or E,

@mntaxxer 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If the document shows the same information as Form 8949 in the manner of Form 8949

you can use it in place of Form 8949.

OR

you can get editable PDF version of Form 8949 from the IRS website under Forms.

@mntaxxer 

Thanks - so it sounds like mailing an attachment is required even though TT never prompted me to do so?

What is the Box Category you are reporting? see exception below.

If you are not excused by the detail reporting exception,
IRS requires details of your SELL transactions to be supplied on some Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B or spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

The detail reporting exception applies only to Box A or Box D transactions without adjustments.

You said "basis not reported to IRS", which is Box B or E,

@mntaxxer 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies