turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

suncatty

Form 1099-R shows my early withdrawal and my regular withdrawal, but Turbo Tax tells me the entire amount is early withdrawal. How do I get around this?

I tried to enter double lines on my 1099-R separately, as if I had received 2 1099-Rs from Vanguard, and then when I entered the line with the distribution code: 7, Turbo Tax asked me if this was a withdrawal before I was 59 ½. Code 7 is for a regular withdrawal.

When I tried to lump all the sums together, both the amount that was an early withdrawal and the amount that was a regular withdrawal, even though I entered both distribution codes: 1 for early, and 7 for regular, Turbo Tax went on to assume that the total $$ entered were all early withdrawal - it did not ask me if any was an early withdrawal, or how much was an early withdrawal.

Should I just pretend I received 2 1099-Rs and separate the early withdrawal from the regular withdrawal? Or can you fix this apparent glitch in the software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-R shows my early withdrawal and my regular withdrawal, but Turbo Tax tells me the entire amount is early withdrawal. How do I get around this?

Enter them as two separate 1099-Rs, which they really should be. There's no reason to add the distributions together as if there was only one when in fact there were two separate types of distribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Enter them as two separate 1099-Rs, which they really should be. There's no reason to add the distributions together as if there was only one when in fact there were two separate types of distribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies