dixon-tricia

For some reason, Turbotax is asking for my 1099-NEC for my spouse. I am unmarried. Help?

I have used Turbotax for 8 years as a single mother and it never asked me for a 1099-NEC before.

LinaJ2020

If this form does not apply to you, you can simply remove it from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online version:

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to the form 1099-NEC and Continue with My Return

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers including self employed to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

@dixon-tricia

npierson7

The new Form 1099-NEC is used to report any compensation given to nonemployees. I would advice you to check your entry, most likely you accidentally indicated somewhere you or someone in your household had self employment income in 2020.

dixon-tricia

Thank you for the quick reply!  I will double check my entries!

LinaJ2020

In TurboTax online version:

3.  Select Tools

@dixon-tricia