Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

For IRA distribution exception for 1st time house purchase, what form of proof must I furnish to IRS that distribution was for house purchase and when must I furnish it?

Client has a 1099-R with a code 4 in box 7. I am attempting to exempt $10,000 for first time home purchase. System does not respond to the deduction. Can anyone help?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

For IRA distribution exception for 1st time house purchase, what form of proof must I furnish to IRS that distribution was for house purchase and when must I furnish it?

Yes, help is available. The code 4 in box 7 represents the death of the original owner of the retirement plan. In this situation there is no 10% premature distribution penalty since it is the beneficiary who is taking a withdrawal. 

It does not eliminate the personal income tax on the distribution.  This would be the same situation if the original owner had taken $10,000 for a first time home purchase.  The income is still taxable but without the penalty.

Please update here if you need further assistance.

@Jeannette3

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ronjrsm32
Returning Member

I could not find anywhere to indicate the 401k withdrawal was used by a first-time homeowner.  It is not on the list of exceptions to the 10% penalty.

@ronjrsm32 wrote:

I could not find anywhere to indicate the 401k withdrawal was used by a first-time homeowner.  It is not on the list of exceptions to the 10% penalty.

There is not an early withdrawal exception for a first-time homeowner when the distribution is from a 401(k).  That exception is only available if the withdrawal was from an IRA and then only the first $10,000 is exempt from the 10% early distribution penalty.

If you withdraw from a Roth for first time home purchase, will you still be taxed on the amount as income? 

@kalenebernhardt wrote:

If you withdraw from a Roth for first time home purchase, will you still be taxed on the amount as income? 

When you withdraw from a Roth, you are treated as withdrawing contributions first, conversions second, and earnings last.  Withdrawal of contributions is never taxed.  Sometimes, a withdrawal of a conversion is subject to a 10% penalty, and withdrawal of earnings is always subject to a 10% penalty if you are under age 59-1/2.  Withdrawal of earnings is also subject to regular income tax if you are under age 59-1/2.  How your particular withdrawal is taxed is based on the makeup of funds in your specific Roth IRA. 

So for a Roth IRA, the first time homebuyer exception means that if you withdraw contributions, they are tax free, as always.  If you withdraw a prior conversion that is subject to the 10% penalty, you can be exempt from the 10% penalty for the conversion withdrawal, and if you withdraw earnings before age 59-1/2, you can be exempt from the 10% penalty but not regular income tax (up to a combined maximum of $10,000 of conversions and earnings). 

Linds B

I would like to make a withdrawal from my retirement account for a down payment of my first home. This is retirement account is just in my name. This is first time I am purchasing a home, but not my husband's. We are on the home contract together. Will I be taxed 10% or will I qualify for exemption?

@Linds B wrote:

I would like to make a withdrawal from my retirement account for a down payment of my first home. This is retirement account is just in my name. This is first time I am purchasing a home, but not my husband's. We are on the home contract together. Will I be taxed 10% or will I qualify for exemption?

You can be exempt from the 10% penalty for early withdrawal for up to $10,000 used for a "first time" home purchase.  The IRS definition of a "first time" purchase is that you can't have owned or co-owned the place you considered your main home at any time in the 2 years prior to the home purchase that you want to use for the exception.  If you are married, your spouse must also meet the no-ownership requirement for the past 2 years. 

That means you can qualify for the exception if you or your spouse owned other property, and you can qualify for the exception if your spouse owned a home but sold it more that 2 years ago, or moved out and used it as a rental, as long as you and your spouse did not own the home you used as your main home for the past 2 years. 

Also, the homebuyer exception only applies to IRAs.  Not to any other kind of plan.  If you have a 401k or other plan, you may be able to do a rollover of funds into an IRA and then withdraw from the IRA.  But if you directly withdraw from another plan, it won't qualify for the penalty exemption. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies