turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rschatzke

Filing join Fed return, $5,000 addition to an IRA. Wife did work, can it be put under her name?

Federal filing joint return. I am 68 and my wife is 68.

Retired in July of 2017.

My wife did work the last 10 years.

We are both taking Social Security benefits.

I have pension from the state of Iowa, which I took benefits from for 6 months.

Want to add $5000 to an IRA to save on taxes.

If put the money if my wife's name it saves more on my return, but she didn't have any earned income from 2017. I have 6 months of earned income for the year.

Also will it be a problem if I take some money out of the IRA, and then put some back in?

How should I handle this $5,000 addition to an IRA.

Thanks, Bob

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing join Fed return, $5,000 addition to an IRA. Wife did work, can it be put under her name?

As long as you have earned an income it is possible to have a spousal IRA.

You still have to meet the other conditions. 

A nonworking spouse can make a deductible IRA contribution of up to $5,500 for2017 ($6,500 if age 50 or older as of Dec. 31, 2017) as long as the couple files a joint return, and the working spouse has earned income that equals are exceeds the sum of the nonworking spouse's contribution plus the working spouse's.

I do not advise taking some money out of IRA and then putting some in, as it may cause some other issues. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Why would you want to take money out and then put money in?   What do you want to accomplish?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rschatzke

Since my income will be lower in 2018, I may need to withdraw some money from IRA in 2018,

If you take money out in 2018 the  it will be a taxable distribution in 2018.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

As long as you have earned an income it is possible to have a spousal IRA.

You still have to meet the other conditions. 

A nonworking spouse can make a deductible IRA contribution of up to $5,500 for2017 ($6,500 if age 50 or older as of Dec. 31, 2017) as long as the couple files a joint return, and the working spouse has earned income that equals are exceeds the sum of the nonworking spouse's contribution plus the working spouse's.

I do not advise taking some money out of IRA and then putting some in, as it may cause some other issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies