turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer contributed x $ to my HSA in box 12 W. I contributed the rest. But the deduction lists MY contribution, NOT the contribution by my employer from the W-2. Why?

For example, the HSA worksheet lists 1000 from the employer in one box and the remaining contribution by myself (to get to the max for the year - $3450). After clicking Done on the worksheet, the deduction ONLY lists my contribution (it doesn't include what my employer contributed). This seems wrong as the individual max is 3450 which is exactly what was contributed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Employer contributed x $ to my HSA in box 12 W. I contributed the rest. But the deduction lists MY contribution, NOT the contribution by my employer from the W-2. Why?

The employer's contribution has already been deducted from the taxable income.  Whenever you see a code W in Box 12 of Form W-2, they refer to pre-tax contributions to the HSA (whether your employer made the contribution or it was your election to have some of your pay be contributed to the HSA, it is the same treatment: a pre-tax contribution).  Without that contribution, your box 1 amount would have been $1000 higher.  (If the contribution came from your employer, it would not have affected your income but you still could not claim a deduction because you personally did not make the contribution).

But, since the $2450 was your out-of-pocket (and therefore after-tax) contribution, you do receive a deduction for this amount.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The employer's contribution has already been deducted from the taxable income.  Whenever you see a code W in Box 12 of Form W-2, they refer to pre-tax contributions to the HSA (whether your employer made the contribution or it was your election to have some of your pay be contributed to the HSA, it is the same treatment: a pre-tax contribution).  Without that contribution, your box 1 amount would have been $1000 higher.  (If the contribution came from your employer, it would not have affected your income but you still could not claim a deduction because you personally did not make the contribution).

But, since the $2450 was your out-of-pocket (and therefore after-tax) contribution, you do receive a deduction for this amount.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies