Does the Q on 1099-R about what did I do with the money from pension, apply to me as the spouse of disabled RR employee? Is 'did something else with it', correct?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Does the Q on 1099-R about what did I do with the money from pension, apply to me as the spouse of disabled RR employee? Is 'did something else with it', correct?

2 Replies
Highlighted

This is a critical question and will have significant impact on your income tax.

The intent behind the question is to determine whether some or all of a distribution was rolled over to another tax-deferred qualified plan, in which case the transaction is tax-free, or was used for another purpose, in which case the amount of the distribution will be taxed as ordinary income and may, in some cases, also be subject to the 10% penalty tax on early distributions.

Highlighted
Level 15

"did something else" refers to rolling over to a different or back to the same tax - deferred account.

v
Privacy Settings