Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my social security tax being withheld count towards federal income tax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Social Security taxes withheld are not entered on your tax return.

Federal income taxes, Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes are totally separate types of taxation.

Your income tax refund will never include amounts withheld for Social Security or Medicare.   That money goes toward your future SS benefits and Medicare when you reach retirmement age or if you become disabled.  Your income tax refund can include amounts from box 2 of your W-2 and might also include any refundable credits you were eligible for.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@jamesgangjj   You mean on your W2 box 4?  No. Those are a mandatory tax.  The Social Security wages in box 3 will count towards your ss account when you start collecting Social Security benefit checks.

Or do you mean the withholding taken out of your Social Security checks?  That does count towards your federal income tax like any other W2 or 1099 withholding.  You will get a SSA-1099 each January to enter into your tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies