turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

401k over-contribute $681. I follow T_Tax instruct, withdrew xcess funds & listed $681 in1099-R. Still can't e-file because 1040A line 12b > 18,500 generates errors?

Remember, filing a W-2 other then what the employer reported would be filing a false tax return and if the W-2 difference between the wages in box 1 and the Social Security amount in box 3 cannot be accounted for with the deferrals in box 12, the IRS conputer might "red-flag" the return for audit.

I would not submit an altered W-2 even if it does allow e-file.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
glnow2005

401k over-contribute $681. I follow T_Tax instruct, withdrew xcess funds & listed $681 in1099-R. Still can't e-file because 1040A line 12b > 18,500 generates errors?

I did not submit the modified W-2, will paper submit with the original W-2.  Still, it would be nice if Turbo Tax could fix this issue that it appears they are aware of.   From others comments, it sounds like this situation (over pay 401K, obtain the excess and submit a 1099-R)  didn't generate problems in previous years of the software.   

Or as @viveks45 pointed out, refund the efiling fee already paid for.

TurboTax has released a FAQ on this issue - the answer is to print and mail the return.

Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing e-File

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
2manydogs

What do I do if my employer does not issue the withdrawal? Because they took over the other company the only show the last 10 months of 2018. I know I have to report the income but not sure how. Please help!
2manydogs

Does it make a difference that part of my retirement plan is a Roth that IS being taxed?
viveks45

You should contact the 401K manager to request a withdrawal and they are required to process the withdrawal by law (its your money!)
2manydogs

I have about 100 times. They are too dumb to understand when the company took over I had  $1977 in my other 401k. They made us start over with their company even get re-hired. It is the the same place! So the overage happened the last 10 months with Wells Fargo Retirement. They don't care. I even showed them the amount (sent them both W2's) and proof of the 401k I had prior to the companies switching. They keep saying there is no overage. It is only $400, but I just want to file my taxes.

@2manydogs - There are situations where companies do not have to return the excess such as two different companies.   The IRS publication  525 addresses this situation when the excess is not returned by April 15.   It must still be reported as taxable wages in the year that the excess contribution was make, but can remain in the plan and earn earnings until eventually withdrawn at retirement, however, it will be just like all the other before-tax money in the plan so will be taxable income when distributed.

For information see IRS Pub 525 page 10
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf</a>
2manydogs

401k over-contribute $681. I follow T_Tax instruct, withdrew xcess funds &amp; listed $681 in1099-R. Still can't e-file because 1040A line 12b &gt; 18,500 generates errors?

Oh yes thank you I did see that. I was just responding to the question about why they aren't returning it. Thank you all for taking the time to help me!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies