Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Does anyone know when the retirement section of federal returns will be ready in Turbotax? I just get the message "The retirement income section will be ready soon."

@bobio02 wrote:

I have the same problem.  I've imported my RMD info from Vanguard.  When I go through the steps in Turbotax it asks if I have rolled over/back any of the distributions.  I answered yes, for I rolled all of them back into the original IRA accounts.  Turbotax then, in parentheses, states that I will not have to pay tax on these amounts.  BUT, near the end of the program it clearly states that I DO owe taxes on the full RMDs, even though they have been rolled back.  I spent about an hour on the phone with a Turbotax support person.  She was very polite, but after many tries could not find a solution.  Her suggestion was that on the form where it reports my RMD, on the next line I state that the full amount is non-taxable.  Turbotax ingests this information, but after the Review states that this is not correct and I can not yet file.  The support person's other suggestion is that I simply do not report the RMDs that were rolled back.  This might solve the problem, but I hesitate to do this since Vanguard has sent the required RMD forms to the IRS.  The end result would not be fraudulent, and financially correct, but still what I report and what the IRS has received would not mesh.  From all of this I have to believe that Turbotax has a problem that needs fixing, and that their support personnel, while polite, are poorly trained.  I hope they fix it soon.

I suggest that you delete the 1099-R totally and then re-enter.   ANY RMD question  MUST be answered that "NO RMD was required or taken".

Your 1040 form line 4a should have the 1099-R box 1 amount and 4b (taxable amount should be zero) with the word ROLLOVER next to it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bobio02
Returning Member

Does anyone know when the retirement section of federal returns will be ready in Turbotax? I just get the message "The retirement income section will be ready soon."

Thank you.  Redoing the entire process, with manual entry rather than import from my IRA financial institution appears to have worked.  The Mac desktop program does not play nicely with imported IRA/RMD data in relation to the 2020 CARES act.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies