Form 8915 -E, that reports the Coronavirus-related relief measures for retirement plan distributions, is not yet finalized by the IRS. TurboTax will update this section after the IRS releases the final version of Form 8915-E and then you can finish your distribution information.
Please follow these steps to enter your 1099-R:
- Login to your TurboTax Account
- Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
- Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and you should see the “Your 1099-R Entries” screen
- Click "edit" and continue until "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply" screen
- Select "I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)" (TurboTax will walk you through questions once this section is ready)
Those who qualify as individuals directly impacted by the pandemic will be able to withdraw up to $100k from their retirement accounts without facing the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
You qualify if:
- You, your spouse, or your dependent are diagnosed with COVID-19
- You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed, or laid off or having work hours reduced because of COVID-19
- You’re unable to work due to child care closure or hour reduction because of Covid-19
- You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19.
You can choose to have the distribution taxed over 2020, 2021, and 2022 instead of only in 2020. You’ll have three years to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions. If you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes paid when you file an amended tax return. Please see IRS Coronavirus-related relief for retirement plans and IRAs for more details.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
The question nobody is answering is....Are we just suppose to sit around and wait to file our taxes until the 8915E form is available? It would be great if TurboTax would address this and let those of us in this situation know how to proceed. Please don’t copy and paste the qualifications for Covid distribution or the information about how the IRS has not finalized the form yet. Thanks!