turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wiquin

Do I need to pay taxes if I received a check more than $14000 If the donor doesn't declare the money as a gift?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I need to pay taxes if I received a check more than $14000 If the donor doesn't declare the money as a gift?

A gift is not taxed.

any gift tax reporting requirement is the donor's issue.

"Do I need to pay taxes if I received a check more than $14000 If the donor doesn't declare the money as a gift?"

It is possible, per Section 6324(b), to have donee liability for any unpaid gift taxes owed and not paid by the donor.

Hal_Al
Level 15

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return may be required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See 
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...

If you know, for sure, the purpose and intent of the check is as a gift to you, you don't need to worry about it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies