Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to pay NY state tax? I'm an US citizen, moved aboard since 2020 for good. I have 1099-INT, 1099-R, 1099-OID,1099-B

Because I no longer return back to live in the USA, in 2021, I took out all my IRAs and 401K (Roth and Traditional) and chose not to withheld state tax but withheld 10% Federal tax.

1. In Turbox tax, I saw I need to pay total 30.9% Federal tax. According to this article https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm, I don’t think I have to pay NY state tax, correct?

2. I have 1099-OID, 1099-B from Lending Club, do I need to pay NY state tax?

3. I keep US mailing address for my US bank and foreign address for Federal tax and permanent home address. When I clicked the tab “Your State Returns”, Turbox tax shows:
Based on your federal return, we recommended the following New York residency status:
Nonresident (Form IT-203)

a.) I no longer live in the USA. Why do I need to fill out Nonresident (Form IT-203)?

b.) On New York Income Allocation, what should I fill on Federal Income New York Source Portion? Are 1099-OID and 1099-B NY income? I have gain and lost.

c.) Should I check the box “Check this box to use Form IT-203-F to allocate all or part of your capital gains using multiple years.”? What does it mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do I need to pay NY state tax? I'm an US citizen, moved aboard since 2020 for good. I have 1099-INT, 1099-R, 1099-OID,1099-B

You do not need to file a NYS return if you did not actually reside or maintain a home in NYS for any part of 2021 since it does not appear as though you have New York State sourced income. 

You can simply click the trash can or delete button next to the New York State return on the state filing screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You do not need to file a NYS return if you did not actually reside or maintain a home in NYS for any part of 2021 since it does not appear as though you have New York State sourced income. 

You can simply click the trash can or delete button next to the New York State return on the state filing screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies