Do I have to file if I had no income except for interest earned on IRA accounts, or interest on a money market account that is less than $100 dollars?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Do I have to file if I had no income except for interest earned on IRA accounts, or interest on a money market account that is less than $100 dollars?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 3

No, if your total interest earned is less than $100 you do not have to file a return.  If you did not take any early withdraw retirement plan distributions that were subject to a penalty, and you have total taxable income of less than $12,000 then you do not need to file a return.  If you are over 65 you would not need to file if you have taxable income of less than $13,600.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Highlighted

When you say earned interest, are you talking about just the money market account, or all accounts combined?
Highlighted
Level 3

Anything interest that you actually received.  If you did not withdraw from the IRA, it would not be counted.  If you withdrew from it, then it would be.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings