Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Do I have to enter form K1 when it is part of a Roth IRA?

I received a form K1 from an investment I made inside my Roth IRA account. I thought since this is part of the Roth IRA I don't have to do anything with this form and filed my 2017 tax return. Now I have heard that I should have put the K1 information into Turbo Tax. Is that correct? Do I have to amend my 2017 return? The form list a total of 5 different states including the state I live in. Do I have to file tax returns in those other 4 states listed as well? The company I invested money in is an MLP.

Thank you

1 Reply
Level 2

Do I have to enter form K1 when it is part of a Roth IRA?

Income earned in a Roth IRA is not required to be reported.  The name of the holder on the K-1 should be your Roth IRA account, which theoretically alerts the IRS that it does not need to be reported, but I would keep the K-1's "just in case" you need to respond to a letter from the IRS.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings