Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I file a Kansas return?

I live in Arkansas full-time.
I did bookkeeping work for a resident of Kansas and was paid by them,
but did it all virtually while physically in Arkansas. 

My SO has KPERS retirement from Kansas, which is exempt from Kansas income tax.
We are able to exempt up to $6,000 of employer-sponsored pension from Arkansas income.

Do I need to file a Kansas return in order to either/both pay income tax on the income I made or claim the $6,000 pension exemption for part of the KS pension on our AR state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to file a Kansas return if you did not live in Kansas or work in Kansas.  Your retirement income is taxable based on where you live when you received it.  Not the state that pays it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to file a Kansas return if you did not live in Kansas or work in Kansas.  Your retirement income is taxable based on where you live when you received it.  Not the state that pays it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DavidD66,

Thanks. I guess I was confused because Kansas requires you to file a return even if you make only $5. I made about $50 one year when I was physically doing work there and the company accidentally sent me a check (even though it was supposed to be a work exchange) and didn't want me to return it. Then, Kansas required me to file a return that year, even though I owed nothing (I called them and asked). But, this time I did the work all while in Arkansas, so I guess it's different.

And, last year I did a lot of work and made money while I was physically in Kansas, and we just started to get the pension from Kansas last year, too. So, I was thinking I had to do to file in Kansas this year, too. 

I already paid for the KS state software product and downloaded it. I guess I'll have to figure out if I can get a refund from TT for that. Not sure where to go to do that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies