turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Todd8

1099-R (back door Roth conversion) - got message "Good news, you don't owe extra tax based on box 7 entry, but my taxes due rose by $1500.

The back door Roth (https://www.rothira.com/what-is-a-backdoor-roth-ira), should not have caused my taxes due to rise (rose by $1500).  Turbo tax stated, "Based on your entry for box 7 on your 1099-R, you don't need to pay any extra taxes on the money taken out of this account."  Is the taxes due a bug in the software?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-R (back door Roth conversion) - got message "Good news, you don't owe extra tax based on box 7 entry, but my taxes due rose by $1500.

This so-called “back-door Roth” method ONLY works if you have NO OTHER Traditional IRA accounts.  If you do, then the non-deductible part must be spread over ALL accounts and cannot be withdrawn by itself.  Only if you started with NO Traditional IRA and ended up with a zero amount in ALL Traditional IRA accounts will this Roth conversion not be taxable.

First you must enter your Traditional IRA contributions (if there were 2017 contributions ).

IRA contribution
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),,
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

Be SURE to answer the follow up that the are choosing to make this contribution NON-DEDUCTIBLE - if that screen comes up. (DO NOT say that you moved (recharacterized) the money to a Roth) – this is a conversion, not a recharactorazition.

Then enter the 1099-R that shows the distribution.

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

Answer the follow-up questions answer the question that you moved the money to another retirement. The screen will open up with choices of where it was moved. Choose you converted it to Roth IRA.

When asked if you have made any non-deductible contributions say " "yes" if you did then enter the non-deductible contributions made for tax years before 2017.     (Usually zero unless you also made a 2016 or earlier non-deductible contribution).

Enter the 2016 year end value of your Traditional IRA a "0" (zero) - if it is in fact zero - this tax free Roth conversion will not work if it is not zero.  Enter the 2016 non-deductible contribution here.

The non-deductible amount of your contribution will be subtracted from the taxable amount of the conversion on then 8606 form and enter on line 15a of them 1040 form and a zero taxable amount on line 15b  if you did it right.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Actually, the message you got is misleading. If you converted from a traditional IRA to a ROTH, then yes, you do pay taxes on it. But you do not pay the additional 10% early withdrawal penalty, since you put it back into another retirement vehicle that is not tax deferred, after withdrawing it from a retirement vehicle that is tax deferred.
Todd8

The Traditional IRA is not tax deferred.  I made a non deductible contribution of $5,500 to a Traditional IRA (which previously had a zero balance), then I immediately converted all the money to a Roth.
Todd8

Also of note, I have no other traditional IRA accounts, and as I mentioned, I had a zero balance in the traditional IRA before the $5,500 contribution.  Thanks for any help / advice.
Carl
Level 15

Whats the code in box 7 of your 1099-R?
Todd8

Read the answer below to make the correct entries.
Carl
Level 15

You need to work it through again. To reiterate what Critter#2 says in his answer below;
 (DO NOT say that you moved (recharacterized) the money to a Roth) – this is a conversion, not a recharactorazition.
Carl
Level 15

Note that because of known issues, it would be best to delete the 1099-R and re-enter it anew.
Todd8

Crap, I did say I recharacterized, but Turbo Tax said that didn't include conversions.  Oops, missed that.  Carl and Critter, thanks so much for the help, my taxes due are zero once again!

This so-called “back-door Roth” method ONLY works if you have NO OTHER Traditional IRA accounts.  If you do, then the non-deductible part must be spread over ALL accounts and cannot be withdrawn by itself.  Only if you started with NO Traditional IRA and ended up with a zero amount in ALL Traditional IRA accounts will this Roth conversion not be taxable.

First you must enter your Traditional IRA contributions (if there were 2017 contributions ).

IRA contribution
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

Be SURE to answer the follow up that the are choosing to make this contribution NON-DEDUCTIBLE - if that screen comes up. (DO NOT say that you moved (recharacterized) the money to a Roth) – this is a conversion, not a recharactorazition.

Then enter the 1099-R that shows the distribution.

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

Answer the follow-up questions answer the question that you moved the money to another retirement. The screen will open up with choices of where it was moved. Choose you converted it to Roth IRA.

When asked if you have made any non-deductible contributions say " "yes" if you did then enter the non-deductible contributions made for tax years before 2017.     (Usually zero unless you also made a 2016 or earlier non-deductible contribution).

Enter the 2016 year end value of your Traditional IRA a "0" (zero) - if it is in fact zero - this tax free Roth conversion will not work if it is not zero.  Enter the 2016 non-deductible contribution here.

The non-deductible amount of your contribution will be subtracted from the taxable amount of the conversion on then 8606 form and enter on line 15a of them 1040 form and a zero taxable amount on line 15b  if you did it right.

@Critter#2 - if you are going to copy my answers please link to it or attribute it.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Sorry ... I had to update it from 2 years ago so the link was no longer appropriate and I forgot to look to see who wrote it...so sorry ....   I look forward to capturing the current year's answer that you do so well.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies