Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tolik2121

Convert IRA contribution to ROTH IRA in the same year

We have combined taxable wages between me and my wife $119500 for 2017. We expected our income to be below $110000, so we made contribution to our Vanguard Traditional IRA $4300. Now, we realized that due our income we can't take IRA deduction. Can we rollback our IRA contribution and convert it Roth Ira? We both have employee sponsored 401K, I am 55 and my wife is 49

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If you are filing jointly, a modified AGI of $119,500 is well below the $186,000 where the eligibility of each of you to make the maximum Roth IRA contribution for 2017 begins to be limited.  This means that you can recharacterize your traditional IRA contributions to be Roth IRA contributions instead.  Generally this would be better than doing a Roth conversion from the traditional IRA unless, individually, you have no other money in traditional IRAs and your traditional IRA lost value between the time of the 2017 contribution and the time of the recharacterization.

When the traditional IRA contribution is recharacterized to be a Roth IRA contribution instead, the custodian, by trustee-to-trustee transfer, moves to a Roth IRA the amount being recharacterized adjusted for any gain or loss while the contribution was in the traditional IRA.  In TurboTax you'll enter the original traditional IRA contribution and indicate in the follow-up that you "switched" the contribution to be a Roth IRA contribution instead.  TurboTax will prompt you to prepare an explanation statement for each of the recharacterizations describing the original contribution, the amount of that contribution that was recharacterized, and the adjusted amount that was transferred.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

" our Vanguard Traditional IRA "
That's not right. There is no such thing as a joint IRA. whose IRA is it?
tolik2121

We have 2 separate IRA: We put $2300 on mine and $2000 on my wife's
Carl
Level 15

@dmertz aren't you the wizard on this? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
tolik2121

you might be confusing me with somebody else
tolik2121

I am not @dmertz
dmertz
Level 15

If you are filing jointly, a modified AGI of $119,500 is well below the $186,000 where the eligibility of each of you to make the maximum Roth IRA contribution for 2017 begins to be limited.  This means that you can recharacterize your traditional IRA contributions to be Roth IRA contributions instead.  Generally this would be better than doing a Roth conversion from the traditional IRA unless, individually, you have no other money in traditional IRAs and your traditional IRA lost value between the time of the 2017 contribution and the time of the recharacterization.

When the traditional IRA contribution is recharacterized to be a Roth IRA contribution instead, the custodian, by trustee-to-trustee transfer, moves to a Roth IRA the amount being recharacterized adjusted for any gain or loss while the contribution was in the traditional IRA.  In TurboTax you'll enter the original traditional IRA contribution and indicate in the follow-up that you "switched" the contribution to be a Roth IRA contribution instead.  TurboTax will prompt you to prepare an explanation statement for each of the recharacterizations describing the original contribution, the amount of that contribution that was recharacterized, and the adjusted amount that was transferred.

tolik2121

Thank you very much, will do recharacterization
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies