Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Contributed more than maximum pre-tax dollars into 401(K)

For the fiscal year 2019 I just found that I have ended up contributing a slightly higher pre-tax dollar amount than the allowed limit of $19,000. This happened because I switched job in middle of year and ended up doing a little miscalculation to maximize the contribution. I stopped contributing to the older 401(K) and started contributing to the new 401(K).

What is the best course of action to fix it now? Should I withdraw the extra fund from my current employer sponsored 401(K)? I am assuming I would have to pay tax on that withdrawal and would receive a 1099-R from the 401(K) in my tax preparation. 

Need some guidance. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you need to withdraw the excess Prior to April 15th, 2020.

You will need to make the following entries into TurboTax for 2019 (the year you made the Excess Contributions)

You should report the excess contributions to your 401(K) by following these steps: 

• Click on the "Federal Taxes" Tab
  • Click on the "Income & Expenses" Tab
  • Click on "I'll choose what I work on"
  • Scroll down to "Less Common Income"
  • Select "Miscellaneous Income" and click Start or Update
  • Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click on Start
  • Answer the Question "Did you receive any other wages?  Yes
  • Click through the questions until you get to "Any Other Earned Income"
  • Answer Yes to "Did you earn any other wages?
  • Indicate "Other" as Source of Other Earned Income and click Continue
  • For the description enter "2019 Excess 401K Deferrals" and enter the amount, then choose Done.

Here is an IRS link with more details:  Excess Deferrals to 401K

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for such a prompt attention to my question and sharing the IRS link too.

Can you please also answer the following:

• Will I be able to withdraw only the excess contribution from my 401-K or I will have to also withdraw any associated earnings?
  • Since the contribution were made on a pre-tax basis does it also mean that my employer must amend W-2 for this year-2019 to show the excess deferral amount as taxable wages?
  • Based on your response I feel amending W-2 may not be needed as Turbo Tax can help in reporting wages not already on W-2 or Form 1099. But once I withdraw the fund from 401-K will I not receive 1099-R which my understanding is reported to IRS?
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes you can withdraw the excess deferrals and Yes you need to withdraw also any earnings on the excess amount contributed.

No your employer does not need to issue you a new W-2.  Since the excess contribution is going to be reported on your return as taxable income.

Report the excess deferral and earnings as a substitute 1099-R with a code 8 for Box 7

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Your 1099-R screen, then select Continue
  4. Click On I need to Prepare Substitute 1099-R

You will receive a 1099-R for 2020 showing the distribution, but this information does not need to be included with your 2020 tax since you have included it with your 2019 return.

Thanks @DianeC958  for responding to all my questions. I do still have further clarification.

Substitute Form 1099-R

Based on your explanation it seems I will receive 1099-R for this withdrawal not likely until next year so I will have to go for substitute Form to file the tax return this year.  I do notice in TurboTax it mentions this in the Learn More section for substitute 1099-R.

You'll be required to:
 - describe your communications with the plan administrator in your attempt to get the form, and
 - attest to the IRS that you were unable to obtain it.

Does TurboTax will guide through completing the above steps? It seems I will have to fill Form 4852.

The first response to my query which was answered by an Expert @KarenM90 

That seems to take a completely different approach to report this income.

Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click on Start

I could navigate to the section as per the direction and put in description “2019 Excess 401K Deferrals”.

I don’t know if these two different approaches to report this extra income eventually leads to the same documents or not. 

Which approach should I be taking – Substitute Form 1099-R or Other income not already reported on Form W-2 or Form 1099?

The excess amount contributed to 401-K is relatively small. I don’t think it should matter from which 401-K I withdraw this extra contribution since I had two. Please confirm.

Experts @DianeC958   @KarenM90 

Can you please answer the pending questions that I asked in my previous thread?  Both of you responded back with a slightly different approach to handle it in Turbo Tax. I am thinking it shouldn’t matter which approach I take but need a confirmation from your end.

And what is the form used to show this extra income not reported on W-2 ?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Since the income is from a retirement plan the best option is to report is as a substitute 1099-R.

There is not a form to show extra income not reported on W-2.

As for which 401k plan to withdraw the excess from it should be taken from the one where the excess money was put in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies