turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Contractor didn’t have a TIN last year but has been issued an ITIN this year. She filed taxes estimating her 1099 last year. Do I still need to issue a 1099?

The contractors amount was included on my total amount posted for 1099s issued when preparing my business income tax.  Would I need to amend my taxes from last year to issue a 1099 to her.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Contractor didn’t have a TIN last year but has been issued an ITIN this year. She filed taxes estimating her 1099 last year. Do I still need to issue a 1099?

You are better off ignoring it.

If you are in business, and you pay a contractor more than $600, you are required to issue a 1099-MISC, even if the person does not have a tax ID number.  If the person does not have a tax ID number, you are required to withhold 30% of the payment as mandatory backup withholding and send it to the IRS.  If the person files their tax return, they get credit for the withholding.

Going back to fix this problem would call the IRS attention to the fact that you did not make the mandatory withholding, and could subject you to penalties.

I assume you already deducted the expense as a business expense, so there's nothing to amend for your tax return, it would just be issuing an out of date 1099, which could also in turn lead to your contractor getting a letter, asking if she already reported the income or if this was new income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies