taxfiler_newbie

Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions Section -My income was less than $75,000 and I did the backdoor conversion. Do I want to make my IRA contributions nondeductible?

I'm confused on the section "Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions." My income was less than $75,000 and I did the backdoor conversion. I'm now getting a message that says I have a 2020 deductible traditional IRA contributions of $2,280. Is this correct? Do I want to make my IRA contributions nondeductible? The $6000 is my after tax money and I want to make all of the $6000 nondeductible, but it says that my max I could make nondeductible is $2,280. I already converted the $6000 from traditional IRA to roth IRA in the same year and almost immediately.

AnnetteB6

If you have already converted the $6000 contribution to a Roth IRA, then you need to indicate that it was all a non-deductible contribution.  The only limit imposed on making a non-deductible contribution is the maximum IRA contribution for the year based on your age ($6000 or $7000 for 50 and older).  

Please take another look at the screen, it should say that your maximum deductible contribution is $2280.  

AnnetteB6

taxfiler_newbie

Hi Annette,

Thanks for your response.  I see a section that says "You can deduct only $2,280 of the $6,000 contribution to a traditional IRA because you're covered by a retirement plan at work and your modified adjusted gross income is between $65,000 and $75,000. The difference of $3,720 is considered a nondeductible contribution. 

When I press continue, I see "Do you want to make your IRA contributions nondeductible?" Do I click Yes and then type $2,280 under amount of your contribution to make nondeductible?

AnnetteB6

You would click 'yes' and enter that you want to make $6000 non-deductible.  

@taxfiler_newbie