turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erodwell

Can turbotax process a contribution to a Cash Balance Plan? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

cash balance pension plan is a pension plan with the option of a lifetime annuity. For a cash balance plan, the employer credits a participant's account with a set percentage of their yearly compensation plus interest charges. A cash balance pension plan is a defined-benefit plan.

1.       Login and click Take me to my return

2.       On the left menu, under 2019 Taxes, select the Federal 

3.       Select the Income & Expenses tab along the top. To get to the full listing of Income and Expenses you may be asked to, "select options that apply to you," click Continue and then Check for more tax breaks, then See list of all tax breaks

4.       Scroll down to the Other Business Situations section and click the blue hyperlink Show more

5.       Click Start/Revisit next to Self-Employed Retirement Plans

6.       Next, answer the questions to enter your retirement.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

When I entered $200,000 under defined benefit plan for my wife's 2019 contribution to her cash balance plan and based on net income for her of $261,000, TurboTax is still showing a federal tax due of approximately $27,000.  How can a federal tax be due of $27,000 when her income after the cash balance plan contribution is only $61,000? 

tm67
Level 1

Thanks for the info. When I go through TT Home & Business (DVD install on macOS) I go to Self-employed retirement plans. It first asks if I contributed to a Individual or Roth 401(k) plan. I answer no. Then it asks if I made contributions to any Keogh, SEP, or SIMPLE retirement plans. This is where I am unsure what to answer.

I have a market based cash balance plan ("defined benefit pension plan that uses a cash balance formula") available to me through my partnership that I contributed to in 2019. My plan does not use any of the terms Keogh, SEP, or SIMPLE. Is this where I should enter my contribution?

@gvs802 , have you figured out why the federal tax was above your expectation?

I run what-if scenarios for the upcoming tax season and may end up in a very similar situation.

My assumption is that cumulative deduction for all pension accounts, W2 if you have a second income, etc cannot exceed a certain amount, and that amount varies for single/married. 

Did you solve this?  I am in the same situation this year.

I am also looking for an answer to this question.  All help appreciated

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Your post is in an old thread. I'm not sure exactly what your question is, can you clarify?

@alvisahib

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

First, thanks for replying.

I have a single member LLC (pass-through for tax purposes).  I set up a cash balance plan through the LLC and contributed money to it (let's say $100,000 for simplicity).  I have not been able to find a way to enter this in TurboTax.  The amount should end up on line 16 of Schedule 1 (as it is a "qualified plan").  I would appreciate guidance on how to enter it there.  

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. To clarify, are you filing this return as a self-employed business person filing a Schedule C or are you filing a Schedule E?

@alvisahib

I am filing a Schedule C (profit or loss from business).  I separately have to file a Schedule E for a rental property I own which is not part of the business; however, I do not think that is relevant here.  Thank you.

@CatinaT1 @DaveF1006 Any further insight?  Thank you!

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you would enter your contribution in Schedule C of your return since it is a contribution to a defined benefit plan. How you enter this into your Turbo Tax Return depends on the type of Turbo Tax Product you are using.

If you are using Turbo Tax online Self-employed, here is how to enter:

1. Go to the magnifying search button at the top right hand portion of the screen.
  2. Type in this exact phrase  sep ira contributions   
  3. select the link that says "jump to sep ira contributions"
  4. Say no to the question asking if you contributed to an individual or Roth IRA Plan
  5. Select yes at the next screen.
  6. Select and record your contribution in the Defined Benefit Keough plan box.

If using Turbo Tax Home and Business Software:

1.  Select the Business Tab in the software.
  2.  In the screen that mentions let's Gather Your Business Information>scroll to Self-employed Retirement
  3. Follow the direction that is given in steps 4-6 listed above.

Let me know if this helps.

@alvisahib

dmertz
Level 15

The contribution goes nowhere on Schedule C.  It is not a business expense.  When you enter it as a self-employed retirement Defined Benefit Keogh contribution it will appear as an above-the-line deduction on Schedule 1 line 16.

@DaveF1006 Thank you - very helpful.  This worked (minor modification - the initial question included Keogh, so I had to click "yes", then "no" to Individual or Roth IRA plan, and then enter the information in the Defined Benefit Keogh box.  Much appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies