turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can this message be wrong? "It looks like some of your tax forms aren't ready Federal Forms 8606-T Nondeductible IRAs." My 401K plan said I don't need this form.

I had a QDRO from my ex spouse's 403B to my 401k.  I already filed the three 1099-Rs from that transaction.  My 401K provider and my ex spouses's 403B provider said I will not have a 8606-T from either of them.  I don't have an IRA elsewhere.  Is this message a bug / error?  Is there an override for it so I can proceed to file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can this message be wrong? "It looks like some of your tax forms aren't ready Federal Forms 8606-T Nondeductible IRAs." My 401K plan said I don't need this form.

If you have no IRAs, you have no need for Form 8606. 

Examine your Forms 1099-R.  If any have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked or have code J, T or Q in box 7, you do have an IRA (or at least had one at some point in 2019).  If none of the Forms 1099-R indicate that you have an IRA, revisit your 1099-R entries to make sure that you have not mistakenly marked the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's 1099-R form.

If you made no contributions to IRAs, make sure that you have made no entries under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.  If your TurboTax tax file includes the IRA Contributions Worksheet you can simply delete that worksheet to eliminate any IRA contribution entries that you previously made.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

On the file page it says "The IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms.  Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section."  So I suppose I need to wait for the IRS?  What is the ETA for this form to finalize?  Thank you so much for your help!  😅

dmertz
Level 15

If you have no IRAs, you have no need for Form 8606. 

Examine your Forms 1099-R.  If any have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked or have code J, T or Q in box 7, you do have an IRA (or at least had one at some point in 2019).  If none of the Forms 1099-R indicate that you have an IRA, revisit your 1099-R entries to make sure that you have not mistakenly marked the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's 1099-R form.

If you made no contributions to IRAs, make sure that you have made no entries under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.  If your TurboTax tax file includes the IRA Contributions Worksheet you can simply delete that worksheet to eliminate any IRA contribution entries that you previously made.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, you'll have to wait for the IRS to give us the form and approved us to use the form. See the IRS forms availability for the status of the form.

Please remember, this is only an estimated date. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your reply.  I was second guessing myself.  As a financial professional, I *know* that I don't have any IRAs.  I double checked the sections you specified under 1099r, and this time it allowed me to file without this error.  I did not change any information, but maybe going over the 1099rs and the deductions and credits under retirement again was enough for it to clear up.  Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies