Solved: Can one member of a two person LLC do a SIMPLE IRA...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Can one member of a two person LLC do a SIMPLE IRA, SEP, or Solo 401k on their own without involving the LLC?

My biz partner is not interested in a retirement plan.  We have a tax accountant who does our LLC tax return and gives us a K-1 each year.    I would like to put my share of the income from the K-1 into a retirement plan.  I usually put it into a traditional IRA, but those contributions are limited to $6k.  I would like to contribute more to my retirement, so I was looking into other options (SIMPLE, SEP, Solo 401k).  Can I do one of these without involving the LLC?

Also, I do my own personal taxes through TurboTax. Is it generally easy to do a SIMPLE, SEP, or Solo 401k through TurboTax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Can one member of a two person LLC do a SIMPLE IRA, SEP, or Solo 401k on their own without involving the LLC?

You can't establish a solo 401(k) independent of the partnership or your other partner.  The plan must be established under the partnership.  (I assume that it is a partnership from which you receive a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) because you mentioned having a partner in the business).  The partnership could potentially establish a solo 401(k) or SIMPLE IRA plan covering the partners that provides matching contributions (or in the case of a solo 401(k) no employer contributions at all) so that contributions would only have to be made by the partner making elective deferrals or Roth contributions.  A SEP plan would not work because both partners would have to make employer contributions in the same proportion of net earnings.

TurboTax does have a section for reporting self-employed retirement contributions and prepares the Deduction Worksheet for Self-Employed as shown in Chapter 5 of IRS Pub 560.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

You can't establish a solo 401(k) independent of the partnership or your other partner.  The plan must be established under the partnership.  (I assume that it is a partnership from which you receive a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) because you mentioned having a partner in the business).  The partnership could potentially establish a solo 401(k) or SIMPLE IRA plan covering the partners that provides matching contributions (or in the case of a solo 401(k) no employer contributions at all) so that contributions would only have to be made by the partner making elective deferrals or Roth contributions.  A SEP plan would not work because both partners would have to make employer contributions in the same proportion of net earnings.

TurboTax does have a section for reporting self-employed retirement contributions and prepares the Deduction Worksheet for Self-Employed as shown in Chapter 5 of IRS Pub 560.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings