turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dd74

Can I withdraw money from an annuity and deposit that money into a different annuity tax free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Can I withdraw money from an annuity and deposit that money into a different annuity tax free?

I assume that this is a nonqualified annuity, not an IRA annuity or an annuity in a qualified employer plan.  You can only avoid a taxable distribution from a nonqualified annuity if you move the annuity explicitly by what is called a "1035 exchange," essentially a trustee-to-trustee transfer from one annuity to another where no funds are actually being paid to you personally,  or if your investment in the contract is greater than the amount distributed and the distribution would be nontaxable even if not deposited into another annuity.

There are ways to transfer a withdrawal from one annuity to another as a 1035 exchange. There are some specific rules about what can be done so you should get some tax guidance to make sure you follow them. 

Here is what investopedia says:

A 1035 exchange is a provision in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) code allowing for a tax-free transfer of an existing annuity contract, life insurance policy, long-term care product, or endowment for another one of like kind.

I am taking money  from a nonqualified account and putting into a qualified account but no with an 

employer. Is this taxable with a penalty?

Is there a age limit on when you can do this.

@Harvey Krones 

The age restriction for contributions to a traditional IRA has been eliminated.  However, you must have income from working to contribute to a qualified account (such as an IRA).  Do you? 

And then you must start taking Required Minimum Distributions at a certain age.

TomD8
Level 15

@Harvey Krones --

This web article should answer your questions:

https://pocketsense.com/can-annuities-changed-ira-tax-penalty-5369.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies