Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tnabeel77

Can I withdraw from my IRA account and get protected under the CARES act as long as I deposit back into the IRA within 3 years? If so, what do I need to be aware of?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I withdraw from my IRA account and get protected under the CARES act as long as I deposit back into the IRA within 3 years? If so, what do I need to be aware of?

See this article from Forbes that covers these types of withdrawals - https://www.forbes.com/advisor/retirement/cares-act-retirement-account-rules-covid-19/

dmertz
Level 15

I'm not sure what you mean by "get protected."  If you qualify for and take a Coronavirus-Related Distribution, although you won't owe any early-distribution penalty, it will be taxable either all in 2020 or in equal parts in 2020, 2021 and 2020, your choice, until you put some or all of it back.  When you put some or all of it back, it will first reduce the amount that would otherwise be taxable in the year you put it back and any amount put back beyond that would be used to reduce the taxable amounts reported on previous years' tax returns by amending those previous years' tax returns to obtain a refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies