turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I rollover IRA again?

I have a Rollover IRA account I opened years ago (rolled over 401k from an older job).

I just left another job in 2021 and wanted to rollover my 401k funds from this previous job into my current Rollover IRA account. Is there anything I need to consider that would affect taxes? Is it ok to rollover multiple 401ks into the same Rollover IRA account?

I don't have a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can add new rollover money from your 2021 job into the IRA.  

You DO have a traditional IRA (assuming your 401k was pre-tax).  There's nothing different about a rollover IRA except the original source of the money, which doesn't matter for most purposes.  (For some purposes, like bankruptcy, it may be advantageous to keep IRA funds from a workplace rollover separate from IRA funds from personal contributions.  But for taxes, it doesn't matter.  An IRA is an IRA.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, you can add new rollover money from your 2021 job into the IRA.  

You DO have a traditional IRA (assuming your 401k was pre-tax).  There's nothing different about a rollover IRA except the original source of the money, which doesn't matter for most purposes.  (For some purposes, like bankruptcy, it may be advantageous to keep IRA funds from a workplace rollover separate from IRA funds from personal contributions.  But for taxes, it doesn't matter.  An IRA is an IRA.)

Thank you for explaining, I always get a little confused! To clarify, are there any tax implications for rolling over another pre-tax 401k into the same IRA?

Thanks again!

None.

@parisrosaries wrote:

Thank you for explaining, I always get a little confused! To clarify, are there any tax implications for rolling over another pre-tax 401k into the same IRA?

Thanks again!

Any traditional IRA (pre-tax) can receive rollover funds from a pre-tax 401(k) or from another pre-tax IRA without tax consequences.  

When you roll over workplace funds into an IRA, it is not necessary to keep funds from different workplaces in separate IRAs. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies