Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

henri3

Can you roll-over RMD monies from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA the year you turn 70.5?

My wife and I are both retired and drawing Social Security.  I will be 70.5 in 2018 and I need to do a Required Minimum Withdrawal (RMD) from my IRA that was all funded with pre-tax dollars while I was working.  We will not need all of the RMD monies for our living expenses so is it possible to roll-over the remainder of the RMD money (after taxes are paid) into a Roth IRA to eliminate tax liabilities on future gains; i.e., can this RMD money be considered earned income, which I think is a requirement for funding Roth IRAs.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you roll-over RMD monies from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA the year you turn 70.5?

NO ... you may never roll over an RMD ... you must take it out and leave it out.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
henri3

Can I roll-over monies from an IRA to a Roth IRA in addition to withdrawing the RMD amount.  What would the max roll-over contribution be?
dmertz
Level 15

I provided that the answer to this while you were typing.  See my comment below.

NO ... you may never roll over an RMD ... you must take it out and leave it out.  

dmertz
Level 15

The RMD is also not earned income for the purpose of making an Roth IRA contribution.

After you complete your RMDs for the year, you can convert other money in your traditional IRA to Roth during the same year.  Unfortunately, this increase in your taxable income can often increase the amount of Social Security income that is taxable, so it might not be a practical option.  However, if your income is already high enough that the full 85% of your Social Security income is taxable, it would make sense to investigate whether making Roth conversions to fill up the remainder of your current tax bracket (or more) would be worthwhile.  You are permitted to convert any other amount after you have satisfied your RMD.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies