turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I max both my employers 401k AND my SEP sole-proprietor plan? Do they have separate limits or a combined yearly limit? I work 50% for myself and 50% for employer.

I have imported my W-2 from my employer and maxed out my 401k contribution there. I also have a sole proprietorship with no employees (not an LLC). TT asked if I wanted to contribute to my SEP. I clicked "maximize my contribution" and it gave me a total. Does the IRS consider this as 2 different jobs with 2 different contribution totals or am I unable to contribute at all to my SEP given that I maxed out 401k employer plan. Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Can I max both my employers 401k AND my SEP sole-proprietor plan? Do they have separate limits or a combined yearly limit? I work 50% for myself and 50% for employer.

Yes, you can contribute to both plans .

TurboTax will help you calculate the maximum contributions.

The IRS does consider these two separate companies as long as they are not under common control.

Here is an IRS link that addresses this:  SEP and 401K

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Your participation in your employer's 401(k) has no bearing on the amount that you are eligible to contribute to the SEP IRA based on your net profit from self-employment.  SEP contributions are employer contributions and the limit on employer contributions at one employer is determined separately from the limit on employer contributions at another employer.

Be aware, though, if the two employers have similar ownership, the two employers might be considered to be a single employer with respect to establishing a retirement plan.  I assume that you do not have a substantial ownership interest in the employer with the 401(k).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies