Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct IRA contributions?

I was making IRA contributions in January to September 2016.  Stopped making contributions in October and started contributing to a 401k in October.  Can I deduct the IRA contributions when I didn't have a 401k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes - for a Traditional IRA (not Roth).  However, if you were covered by an employer retirement plan, your deduction for the contributions might be limited.

If you are--

Single, and your modified adjusted gross income is:

• $61,000 or less - You get the full deduction
  • more than $618,000 but less than 71,000 - partial deduction
  • $71,000 or more - no deduction

Married filing joint return, and your modified adjusted gross income is:

• $98,000 or less - You get the full deduction
  • more than $98,000 but less than $118,000 - partial deduction
  • $118,000 or more - no deduction

Married filing separately*, and your modified adjusted gross income is:

• less than $10,000 - partial deduction
  • $10,000 or more - no deduction
*Married individuals filing separately who live apart at all times during the year are treated as single.

To enter contributions to a Traditional IRA in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Scroll down to the Retirement and Investments section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. On the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen, mark the box for Traditional IRA and click Continue[Screenshot #2]
  4. On the screen, Did you Contribute to a Traditional IRA?  click the Yes box.  [Screenshot #3]
  5. Click the appropriate box on Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution?  [Screenshot #4]
  6. On the Tell Us How Much You Contributed screen, enter the amount of your contribution and click Continue[Screenshot #5]
  7. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why can't I deduct my IRA contributions for the nine months that I didn't have a 401K?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can deduct them.  It's just that the deduction may be limited if your employer had a retirement plan available for you -- whether you participated in it or not.

They did not have a retirement plan when I was making the IRA contributions.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Then make sure box 13--Retirement Plan is not checked on your W-2 entry screen.

Thank you!

I removed the check from the Retirement Plan, but I still cannot deduct my IRA.  My 401k contributions show on my W-2.  There must be some way that I can deduct the IRA contributions I made in Jan. to Sept. 2016 prior to my employer starting a 401k in October 2016.

You were covered by a retirement plan at work for the entire year if covered for one day during the 2016 tax year.  If box 13 is checked on your W-2 you must check in.  The IRS gets a copy.    The 401(k) reporting in box 12 on yiur W-2 also tells TurboTax (and the IRS) that you were covered and cannot deduct the IRA.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I have 401k at work but not a pension. The 401k is considered a "retirement plan" for tax purposes correct?  So the limitations apply.  

@signor0816 wrote:

I have 401k at work but not a pension. The 401k is considered a "retirement plan" for tax purposes correct?  So the limitations apply.  

Correct, if you are covered by a qualified retirement plan at work (which includes a 401(k),) then your ability to also contribute to an outside IRA is determined by your filing situation and income.

You can contribute up to $6000 (or $7000) to a traditional IRA, but you may not be able to deduct those contributions.  See this page to determine your deductible amount.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-deduction-limits

Your ability to contribute to a Roth IRA is affected by your income but not by your participation in a workplace retirement plan, see here,

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that-you-can-make-for-2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies