turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

uscc72

Can I contribute to an IRA if I am retired with a pension of $33,000?

Can I contribute to an IRA if I am retired with a pension of $33,000 and no earned income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, you cannot contribute to an IRA if you have no earned income (taxable compensation)

See this IRS website for IRA contributions - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No, you cannot contribute to an IRA if you have no earned income (taxable compensation)

See this IRS website for IRA contributions - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

The responses I've seen appear to be outdated (2019) by saying a retiree or nonworking spouse can't contribute to an IRA.  What I've read recently is that a spouse with no earned income CAN contribute to an IRA as long as they file jointly and one spouse has earned income.

@hansonruss49 wrote:

The responses I've seen appear to be outdated (2019) by saying a retiree or nonworking spouse can't contribute to an IRA.  What I've read recently is that a spouse with no earned income CAN contribute to an IRA as long as they file jointly and one spouse has earned income.

Every question depends on its own facts and circumstances.  The post you are replying to did not involve a working and non-working spouse.

You are correct that in general, a non-working spouse may contribute to a spousal IRA based on the earnings of their working spouse (subject to income limits and other things).  But at least one spouse on that MFJ tax return must have "compensation" as defined by the IRS, which is income earned from providing goods or services (plus a couple of special case exceptions). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies