turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend my 2018 taxes to include a lump sum social security disability that is for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I amend my 2018 taxes to include a lump sum social security disability that is for 2018?

If the SS disability lump sum was received in 2019 it will be reported on your SSA-1099 statement in January of 2020 to be reported on the 2019 tax return.  You do not amend the 2018 tax return to report a lump sum payment received in 2019 even though the payment was for 2018.

so that means i could potentially be owing more in taxes than I get as my income is above 60,000! wow that really hurts. i bought there was a  way to disperse the payments? any ideas?

Go to this IRS website for information on SS lump sum payments and how to calculate the taxable portion using the worksheets in Publication 915 - https://www.irs.gov/faqs/social-security-income/back-payments/back-payments

Note that TurboTax can calculate the taxable portion of any SS lump sum payment in the Retirement Plans and  Social Security section of the program under Wages and Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies