turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my W-2 box 14 is checked for a reimbursement. I borrowed 200 dollars against my check and the 200 was taken out of the following check which wipes it out.

This 200 was a washout because it was 4 days before I got paid and my check was 200 dollars less to pay back my employer.  Should that be in box 14?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my W-2 box 14 is checked for a reimbursement. I borrowed 200 dollars against my check and the 200 was taken out of the following check which wipes it out.

Box 14 is sort of a catch all that employers can use to report a variety of information, but its mostly just for informational purposes.  It does not usually effect your tax return.  There are some scenarios where Box 14 information needs to be accounted for in other areas of your federal or state returns.  

In your case, your employer's payroll company probably just noted the transaction and then put it on there for informational purposes.  Its not effecting your wages as it was already accounted for in your pay.  You can leave it and just select "Other" as the description.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Box 14 is sort of a catch all that employers can use to report a variety of information, but its mostly just for informational purposes.  It does not usually effect your tax return.  There are some scenarios where Box 14 information needs to be accounted for in other areas of your federal or state returns.  

In your case, your employer's payroll company probably just noted the transaction and then put it on there for informational purposes.  Its not effecting your wages as it was already accounted for in your pay.  You can leave it and just select "Other" as the description.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies