turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an amount on W2 box 10 from my FSA. This amount is added back to 1040 Line 1. This is supposed to be pretax dollar, why does it become taxable benefit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Ashby

I have an amount on W2 box 10 from my FSA. This amount is added back to 1040 Line 1. This is supposed to be pretax dollar, why does it become taxable benefit?

Box 10 is for the dependent care FSA contributions for the year. Unless you have childcare expenses during the year that qualify to offset the amount, then it becomes taxable income.

If you used the money to pay for Dependent Care Benefits, then during the W-2 interview process, on the pages that follow entering the actual boxes, you need to answer "Yes" to used money to pay for dependent care expenses.

Then, you will need to go through the Dependent Care section under Deductions and Credits. When it asks again if you used the money for dependent care for the year, you answer "Yes". 

Thanks for your prompt reply!  

If one of the couple does not have a job, how to use form 2441 to claim the deductible benefits or the excluded benefits to offset the amount shown on box 10 of W2(dependent care FSA from the employer).  In other words how to avoid the addback to 1040 Line1.  Any other forms to claim?

Ashby

Unfortunately, no there is not anything you can do about it. You both have to work to be able to take the 2441 credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies