Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help with line 7 of 8606

We took our first IRA distributions in December 2016 and are preparing  2016 tax forms.

In preparing the 8606 regarding the distributions we took from our individual IRA accounts I noticed that my wife’s account is categorized as a “rollover” account by my brokerage firm.

We’ve had simple/traditional IRA accounts with several different brokerage firms over three decades, and somehow when we once transferred our accounts hers got labeled a roll over.

In filling out line 7 of her 8606 the instructions say to enter the net amount but do not include rollovers. This is somewhat confusing. Are rollover distributions treated differently from distributions from other simple IRA accounts. Thanks for your help in clarifying this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Based upon your description, the “rollover” clause does not apply to you. You should only enter the amount of money that you withdrew from your IRAs.

Your wife’s “rollover” account is the brokerage firm’s way of alerting their staff and the IRS that they have no way of knowing the original basis of the account, since they have not always been the custodians. Therefore, they do not know if any of the contributions have already been taxed.

When line 7 refers to a rollover, they want to know if any of the money you withdrew this year was rolled over into another qualifying (pre-tax) account. If so, that money does not count as part of your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) and is exempt from tax. Do not include a current year rollover on Line 7.

Instructions for Form 8606 can be found below.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Based upon your description, the “rollover” clause does not apply to you. You should only enter the amount of money that you withdrew from your IRAs.

Your wife’s “rollover” account is the brokerage firm’s way of alerting their staff and the IRS that they have no way of knowing the original basis of the account, since they have not always been the custodians. Therefore, they do not know if any of the contributions have already been taxed.

When line 7 refers to a rollover, they want to know if any of the money you withdrew this year was rolled over into another qualifying (pre-tax) account. If so, that money does not count as part of your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) and is exempt from tax. Do not include a current year rollover on Line 7.

Instructions for Form 8606 can be found below.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies