Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Backdoor Roth IRA conversion with prior year nondeductible balance

I had a $6000 balance in my traditional IRA which was nondeductible in 2021.  In 2022, I made another $6000 nondeductible contribution to my IRA and then immediately converted all $12000 to Roth IRA.  I received a Form 1099R indicating $12000 distribution with box "taxable amount not determined" checked. I have tried to enter this into turbotax for my 2022 tax return but it keeps on characterizing the $6000 from 2021 as taxable distribution even though it was a nondeductible amount.  I verified from my 2021 tax return that it was properly characterized as nondeductible.  I am trying to follow instructions from older posts but looks like the questions have changed in the 2022 software, and I cannot figure it out how to do it in the forms view.

How do I solve this problem?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For others who run into this post later ... 

First you must enter your Traditional IRA contributions (if there were 2022 contributions ).

IRA contribution
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),,
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

Be SURE to answer the follow up that the are choosing to make this contribution NON-DEDUCTIBLE - if that screen comes up. (DO NOT say that you moved (recharacterized) the money to a Roth) – this is a conversion, not a recharactorazition.

Then enter the 1099-R that shows the distribution.

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

Answer the follow-up questions answer the question that you moved the money to another retirement. The screen will open up with choices of where it was moved. Choose you converted it to Roth IRA.

When asked if you have made any non-deductible contributions say " "yes" if you did then enter the non-deductible contributions made for tax years before 2022.     (Usually zero unless you also made a 2021 or earlier non-deductible contribution).

Enter the 2021 year end value of your Traditional IRA a "0" (zero) - if it is in fact zero - this tax free Roth conversion will not work if it is not zero.  Enter the 2021 non-deductible contribution here.

The non-deductible amount of your contribution will be subtracted from the taxable amount of the conversion on then 8606 form and enter on line 15a of them 1040 form and a zero taxable amount on line 15b  if you did it right. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

It is solved.  I was making an error in the timing of the contribution.

For others who run into this post later ... 

First you must enter your Traditional IRA contributions (if there were 2022 contributions ).

IRA contribution
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

Be SURE to answer the follow up that the are choosing to make this contribution NON-DEDUCTIBLE - if that screen comes up. (DO NOT say that you moved (recharacterized) the money to a Roth) – this is a conversion, not a recharactorazition.

Then enter the 1099-R that shows the distribution.

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

Answer the follow-up questions answer the question that you moved the money to another retirement. The screen will open up with choices of where it was moved. Choose you converted it to Roth IRA.

When asked if you have made any non-deductible contributions say " "yes" if you did then enter the non-deductible contributions made for tax years before 2022.     (Usually zero unless you also made a 2021 or earlier non-deductible contribution).

Enter the 2021 year end value of your Traditional IRA a "0" (zero) - if it is in fact zero - this tax free Roth conversion will not work if it is not zero.  Enter the 2021 non-deductible contribution here.

The non-deductible amount of your contribution will be subtracted from the taxable amount of the conversion on then 8606 form and enter on line 15a of them 1040 form and a zero taxable amount on line 15b  if you did it right. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies